Friday, June 18, 2010

I'm Going Green! And Frugal! Two Points For Me!


Okay, maybe I should calm down. Really, all I'm talking about (today at least) is the fact that I have successfully switched my household over to cloth napkins.

I decided to make the switch after reading about others' success in the blog world. Before, I always thought it would be such a pain to have to wash them. Plus using cloth napkins seemed too fancy for everyday.

However, after reading all those blogs, I finally got sick of throwing away paper napkins. Mr. 31 insisted that he needed two napkins for every meal, plus there was everyone else's. That's a lot of paper napkins going in the trash. That's a lot of waste that we're producing and that's a lot of money being tossed into the garbage.

So, I decided to dive into the stack of cloth napkins I keep for "special occasions" and give this whole green/frugal thing a spin. And, I've gotta say, I love it. I have a large supply of white cloth napkins, which seems weird because you'd think they'd get stained quicker, but they're great because I can bleach them.

My next mission is to switch my husband from kleenex to handkerchiefs. He's open to that - I just have to find good quality, soft, white ones (his request). I would also like to break my house of our terrible paper towel habit, so I'll be working on that in the near future.

The one thing I probably won't switch to in the paperless world: reusable rags instead of toilet paper. I just don't think I can go there. Sorry hardcore environmentalists and frugalists. Just can't do it.

5 comments:

  1. We use white wash cloths instead of paper towels. I bought a few of the biggest packs I could find at wal mart. We do keep a roll of paper towel around for certain messes, but it takes us months to go through one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam's and Costco also have large packs of terry washclothes and towels. I use them for everything. I do use paper towels for windows and mirrors mainly because I don't get a newspaper any more. I've been using cloth napkins for years and they wash up great. I'll admit I do keep a stash of fast food napkins on hand just for bbq chicken or ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Stacy - thanks for the tip! I think I'm going to try and make the switch soon, so I'll check Walmart next time I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY for going GREEN!!! Thanks for stopping by today. I am your newest follower. have a great weekend.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete