Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Beginnings of a Bedroom Redo

I have decided that my next project to tackle is a redo of our master bedroom.

This move was inspired by the fact that we had to replace our bed. Our old headboard was made by Mr. 31 five years ago. It was (and will be again!) great, but in the last six months or so the fake suede-y material covering the headboard began to seriously flake on the one side. Mr. 31 was waking up every morning with pieces of fabric dotting his face and hair and we decided that was not going to work long term.

So, we made the decision to buy our first store made bed and move the homemade headboard into the guest room (and eventually re-cover it). We started bed shopping and hit the jackpot - a brand new, wooden canopy bed for less than half the normal price! We put it on layaway and paid it off last month.

Now, I've always wanted a canopy bed (my inner princess coming out!), so I was ecstatic. And I couldn't wait to do something girly to it. Alas, my budget was willing to wait.

But my attic was on my side! A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I were cleaning out our attic (and I almost got us trapped in there, but that's a different post), when I came across a garbage bag full of decorations from our wedding. Yards of tulle, strands of ivy and roses, and strings of Christmas lights emerged. The lightbulb came on and I couldn't wait to ditch the hot attic to get started on my new project.

I strung the lights and the ivy and roses around the metal braces that form an X between the posts. Then I strung the tulle over the bed with tiny silver ribbon that you can't even see. Then my brilliant husband was like, "It would look nice with flower petals" and I remembered I had some fake rose petals from a previous project. So we threw some of those on the tulle.

Unfortunately, I was too hyped to start the project and did not take before pictures of the bed. Oops. But I think you can get the picture of what it looked like before.

Here it is without the Christmas lights on:





And with the Christmas lights on:



And what it looks like when you're laying on it:

Oh, wait. That's what it looks like when you're laying on it taking pictures and your cat gets all on the lens.

Here's what it looks like after you (gently) shove her down:


I really like the way it turned out. Plus, it was free (!!) and it reminds me of our beautiful wedding day every time I look at it.

Now, you'll notice I didn't take a picture of the whole bed (because the blankets and sheets aren't coordinated yet and, let's be honest, I didn't bother to make the bed before I took these pictures) and that I have blue curtains up that don't seem to match what's going on now. I will be re-doing the rest of the room as my budget allows and will updating you all soon!

Please check my "Link Party" page to see the fabulous blogs I'll be linking up to!

15 comments:

  1. So creative and pretty!! I love it!

    Visiting from Kara's "Look What I Made" page!

    Audra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything turned out really pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty! I love the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fabulous! What a great use of your wedding decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks enchanted, what a fun way to go to sleep each night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How romantic! Love the look at night, its like a fairy retreat :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a creative idea! Thanks so much for linking up to We Can Do It Cheaper!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my mail box!! I love the lights above your bed - so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Friday! I am stopping by via the linky party.

    Your bed looks utterly charming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, I love the lights!! Can't wait to see what else you do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sense the start of a wonderful bedroom makeover! You've got a great beginning going on there! Thanks for sharing your craftiness on Modern Craftswoman Monday! Rory

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very romantic....I love canopy beds too, but I've never had one.

    Thanks for linking up to Fab Friday -

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You and your creative mind scored a big one! Don't you love it when your brain goes CLICK? Your romantic canopy bed is absolutely gorgeous, like from a tony bridal suite. And you didn't have to spend anything. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for the great comments!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am trying to update my bedroom too...one project at a time...great idea for a canopy. Come say hi and see some of my thrifty treasures!

    ReplyDelete