Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Flag Holder Redo

For the two years I've lived in my current home, I've had to look at this flag holder that hangs on one of the porch columns. First, it's weather beaten and old looking. Secondly, the whole country wooden heart thing really isn't my style. No offense, it looks lovely in other people's homes, but it's just not me.

BUT, you know what's also not me? Having gaping holes in my brick from the giant bolts they hung the heart with should I take the thing down. So, what to do, what to do?

Then along came some free paint samples - in red, white, and blue (and olive green, but that doesn't really go with this post). Lightbulb!!

So, I painted the heart to look like an American flag. Less country looking, more American-rustic (if that's a style).




Painting it was really simple. I measured out the lines using a bookmark (I discovered during the course of this project that we don't own a ruler in my house. How is that even possible?). I painted it relying on the steadiness of my own hand to follow the lines, so I didn't use tape (which I'm terrible at anyways). Then I used a pencil eraser to dot the "stars" on the blue part.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It looks much better (and much less weather beaten and dirty!).


I'm linking up with Centsational Girl's Stars and Stripes Party.



I'll also be linking up with some of the other link parties listed on my link party page so check those out too!

6 comments:

  1. HI Vanessa,
    I like your new version much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and so patriotic! Love it. Thanks for linking up to We Can Do It Cheaper @ The Virginia House!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea!!! You are so creative.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great solution!

    Thanks for linking up to Fab Friday -

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete