Monday, August 9, 2010

Bruschetta Bread

One day last week, I was faced with the following conundrum: what could I fix that would use up the last 1/3 of a loaf of Italian bread, a handful of grape tomatoes that were on the verge of becoming wrinkly, and a basil plant that is threatening to take over our back yard?

Bruschetta! Or my version of it anyway! What's great about it (and also makes it hard to write down) is that these measurements don't have to be exact - just use what you have on hand.

Bruschetta Bread

Pesto:

4 cups fresh basil, loosely packed

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

5-6 cloves garlic

3/4 cup olive oil

salt and pepper to taste


Italian bread or something equivalent

2 cups diced tomatoes (I used a combination of the grape tomatoes plus a couple of Better Boys from our garden)

1 cup or so of mozzarella, depending on how cheesy you want it

3 tbs. butter, melted

Put the ingredients for the pesto, except parmesan cheese, into a food processor. Blend well, but the goal is not to liquify it. Put into bowl and stir in parmesan cheese. Set aside (I actually like to set this aside for 1/2 hour or so to allow flavors to blend, but that is not necessary)

Brush the slices of Italian bread with the butter. Then spread pesto on each slice (the amount depends on personal preference). Top with diced tomatoes and then mozzarella.

Place on baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted (sometimes I put in the broiler to speed things up).

Please check out my link party page to see the wonderful blogs I'll be linking up with.

9 comments:

  1. I love Bruschetta! I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I don't think I've ever had bruschetta with pesto, but how can it be bad? Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! We stopped growing basil because it always bolted before the tomatoes were ripe. But I do miss having fresh basil in the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw your recipe on $5 Dollar Dinner, this looks really good! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm! I could eat bruschetta every day! Maybe I should!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. Sounds delicious. And tomatoes from your garden ... jealous!

    Thanks for linking up to the “Cheap Thrills Thursday” party at Black Kats Design. I hope you had fun and will join in again next Thursday!

    Kat

    www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delish! I love bruschetta! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! This looks so yummy and I love bruchetta!

    Thanks for linking up at www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete