Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bathroom Makeover

This week I am getting ready to hold a yard sale. I adore the feeling of getting rid of stuff you don't want or need!

But that also means I haven't worked on much around the house except sorting through our belongings. So, I decided to do another blast from the past.

This time I'm going to highlight a bathroom we did in the same flat that we did the fireplace redo in. The fireplace I showed you is from the second floor. This bathroom is on the first.

Here are some before pictures of the bathroom. And, yes, we did know what it looked like when we bought it.


This just makes you want to jump right in and take a bath, doesn't it? It just screams clean and refreshing.
J'adore the burgundy toilet seat and the random missing piece off of the side of the vanity. How do you even take that piece out??

It's always convenient to have your mirror six feet above the sink.


And this window placed in the middle of that lovely blue surround makes the local Peeping Tom's job so much easier! Because, bear in mind, this bathroom window that goes to waist level is literally less than 15 feet away from the next door neighbor's window. So convenient!

But, ladies and gentleman, I saved the best for last. This was the ceiling...if it still qualifies as that:



Why, yes, that would be a gaping hole going up to the second floor bathroom that is surrounded by mold.

Mr. 31 and I gutted everything except the tub and started from scratch. We felt it would be best.

Now, keep in mind we renovated this house to be used as a rental, so it's not heavily decorated and stuff was put in to stand up to the wear and tear of tenants. But I think it still makes for a pretty good after.



Goodbye creepy stalker window!! Hello shiny new white tub surround!!

Also, hello to a new mirror, lighting, ceramic tile floor, toilet, and pedestal sink!

You'll also notice a drop ceiling. I wouldn't have done that if it was my home, but I'm glad we did it in the rental unit. Tenants that have lived on the second floor haven't always paid attention when they're filling the tub. Much easier to replace individual ceiling tiles than a drywall ceiling...multiple times....

Mr. 31 and I ended up moving into this very apartment when we got married (we bought the house before we got married while we were still living with our respective parents. When we got married it made sense to move into the flat for awhile). The toughest part of moving in for both of us: taking that first shower in that bathroom. It didn't matter that it had been gutted and scrubbed to within an inch of its life - all we could think of was the "before." But we got over it. Not taking a shower for a year and a half would have been bad.

Check out my link page for all the wonderful blog partays I'll be linking up with.

20 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! the befores were scary, but you did a great job changing it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA was that scary. Thank goodness your witty banter made me laugh or I'd have probably fainted from fear!

    NOW it looks like clean, refreshing bathroom! Nice work!

    Oh and I see you like the movie Oscar - one of my favorites, sooooo funny! I hardly ever come across anyone who has even heard of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    And Molly - I can't believe you've heard of Oscar! I can't find anybody that's heard of it either! LOVE that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!...I think that Bath room moved into my house..(The Scary One) I have that same staker Window in mine..You did a Great Job!
    Dedra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job! That mold is serious business. I sure hopw you were able to get rid of all of it before you put in the new stuff.

    Major difference on that tub for sure! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! That was a hot mess but you turned into a calm oasis! Love it! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Looks great! I have no idea how you were able to get the guts to take on some of these difficult tasks on such a run down house. They would scare me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from Remodelaholic party! You did an awesome job. We just did the same thing on our niece's foreclosure rehab. Bathroom looked the same but maybe even a little worse with the many holes and mold it had. Rewarding when it is done! Congrats on getting to enjoy it now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone!! And Polly - we took lots of precautions to make sure the mold was totally gone before rebuilding the bathroom. We've had the place for 5 years now and there've been no mold issues. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are brave indeed! That ceiling was the scariest. You guys did a great job!
    Susanne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That looks sooo good! You did a fabulous job! I don't do windows in showers either. All the scary movies have those. EEEEK!

    ReplyDelete
  12. An amazing makeover!! I can't believe it's the same bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great bathroom re-do! You sure had your work cut out for you, but I think it turned out very nice!

    Thanks for linking up at www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You guys were very brave. What a transformation though. Great job! I'm sure your tenants appreciate the efforts too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh boy! You had your work cut out for you! Looks great! You should be so proud. Please remember to link to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i give you credit for being so brave attacking that bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brave souls you and Mr. 31 are!!!! It turned out wonderful.

    Blessings,
    jilly
    visiting from BNOTP

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I'll bet you are loving your new bathroom. Much better.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Vanessa! I found your site off of Today’s Creative Blog! I love your craft! You are so talented! I just signed up to be your 31st follower! Woo hoo! I hope you stop by my new blog. I just started it 2 months ago and would love new friends! Please come see me at http://www.modernfamilymagazine.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, my! What a transformation! I love it. And aside from all the visual improvements, it's also so CLEAN. :)

    ReplyDelete