Monday, July 19, 2010

The Problem with Produce


Making the switch to eating healthier is posing some interesting problems.

Take fresh produce for instance. I've always known I should eat more fruits and vegetables (in a form other than the Hostess fried cherry pies from convenience stores). The lesson was hammered home in Michael Pollan's book Food Rules: An Eater's Manual (a great book - I really recommend it!). His basic rules: Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much.


Probably good ideas.

However, with only two of us eating at our house for the most part, produce is sometimes difficult to stay ahead of. We buy it and eat it....except for that last banana that ends up going bad...or that last handful of lettuce that neither of us manage to eat before it wilts...or those last few blueberries that went moldy.

You know, you don't have this problem with Hamburger Helper. Which also explains why I shouldn't eat it.

I've been working on figuring out ways to save those last bits of produce so they don't go bad, like making apple muffins out of the lingering apples, cutting up and freezing berries, etc. In the interest of being honest, we've also been making some contributions to our compost bin.

Tomorrow I will share a recipe I came across that helped me use up a yam that was on the verge of being not so fresh.

1 comment:

  1. I had that problem for years but now my boys are older and eat more, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete