Friday, July 9, 2010

Enjoying Life

First, I want to thank Michelle at Someday Crafts for featuring my house number planter.
Thank you!!

These past two weeks have been really hectic both at work and at home. There is a lot going on at work in general and then we decided to do a heavy duty spring cleaning of the building. It now looks great and is soooo organized, but it was very tiring!

Then, my husband's family had a surprise birthday party for his grandpa's 75th birthday. We had a lot of family visiting from out of town, which was great. But we decided that some things had to be fixed around our house before they got there. So, in the evenings we were tackling projects like painting the foundation of our house, painting our decks, laying a laminate floor in a room where we had to take the carpet up...

Then, the weekend of the party, we cooked breakfast for 40 people at our house, we traveled from house to house visiting people who were in town...and, oh yeah, we had the actual party. We stayed up until 1:00-2:00 every day over the 4th of July weekend. We had a GREAT time with everyone and his grandpa was really touched and happy about the surprise. But, dang, was it tiring!!

I don't think I've been this tired in a long time. It's been really easy to get overwhelmed and exhausted at points. Then, I came across an entry in Joyce Meyer's devotional Starting Your Day Right: Devotions for Each Morning of the Year. She was looking at Deuteronomy 12:7: "And there you shall eat before the Lord your God, and you shall rejoice in all to which you put your hand, you and your households, in which the Lord your God has blessed you."

She went on to say, "It is amazing what happens when you decide to enjoy God every day. It is easy to get so caught up in all your responsibilities that you forget to enjoy what you are doing. You can get so busy raising your children that you forget to enjoy them. You can get so caught up in cleaning your house, trying to pay for it, and remodeling it, that you forget to enjoy it. But you can learn to enjoy God so much that no matter what you do today, you can truly say, 'I enjoyed it.'"

What a great reminder. No matter how busy we are or how many projects we are trying to juggle, we must remember to enjoy our lives! I bet that, in 20 years, I won't remember my organizational system at work, or what color I painted my decks; but I will remember the look on Mr. 31's grandpa's face when he walked into the surprise party because I took the time to soak in and enjoy the moment. I stopped working and bustling around long enough to enjoy.

So, as we're working, and fixing our homes, and feeding our families, and caring for ourselves, let's remember to take the time to enjoy God and all the blessings he has bestowed upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment