Saturday, May 29, 2010

Scripture Saturday - Proverbs 31:10

I wanted to set aside one day a week to take a short look at a scripture. You may be asking why Scripture Saturday, not Scripture Sunday (since it seems I'm into alliteration)? I like to set Sunday apart as a sabbath day, when I spend time with the Lord and my family. Note I say "like to", not "always manage to". But, I'm trying, so Scripture Saturday it is!


Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. -Proverbs 31:10*

I wanted to take a particular look at one word in this verse: "virtuous". I think we all understand (and agree!) that it's good to have a worth higher than rubies. But who is it that qualifies to be this virtuous woman worth more than rubies? What does it mean to be virtuous?

To be virtuous means to be pure and to have moral excellence. Our motives and decisions, as well as the actions that follow, should be pure and blameless. What good is it to decorate our homes if our motive is simply to get compliments and attention from others? What good is it to keep our homes clean and neat or to work outside our home if our motivation is to be able to act like a martyr because we're doing so? Doing a multitude of "good" acts does not make someone virtuous.

Our motivation for doing all in our lives should come from a place of holiness and purity that comes when we are focusing on the Lord. I know that is something that I need to keep a check on - how about you?


* Unless otherwise noted, all scriptures come from the King James Version of the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment