Monday, May 31, 2010

My Quest to be a Better Cook

In the interest of being open and transparent, I have a confession to make: I can’t cook.

Okay, well maybe that’s a tad dramatic. I’m fairly good at making sweet stuff. And I can technically cook other stuff, but it does not come naturally to me. Up until a couple of years ago, I didn’t have much practice at it. I would “cook” things like instant mashed potatoes, Hamburger Helper, canned soup, Kraft macaroni and cheese. But, as I got older, I realized (1) that’s not really cooking and (2) it’s not really healthy.

I skated through my cooking duties the first couple of years of marriage because Mr. 31 can cook and he enjoys doing it. However, there are times when he’s not home or home late or tired and we can’t eat out every time that happens. Also, in the interests of being a better wife, I thought that cooking might be a helpful skill to acquire. So, a couple of years ago, I began to try to teach myself to cook.

When I first started, I wanted to work exclusively off of recipes because, basically, I didn’t know what I was doing enough to improvise. But the problem with that is most recipes called for stuff I don’t typically keep in my house. So that would entail a trip to the grocery store. A few dozen trips to the grocery store later, Mr. 31 declared that, for the sake of our budget and his sanity, I was going to have to learn to cook with what was already in the house.

So, a little freaked out, I began to get a little more creative in the kitchen. I have been not-so-successful a number of times, though my husband has been kind and eaten everything with no (okay, very few) complaints. However, I have found success more times than not and have grown in confidence and skill. I’m still not the best, but I’m growing and learning.

In future posts, I will share stuff that has worked as well as some things that were spectacular fails (because I’m sure there will be more of those along the way!).

No comments:

Post a Comment