Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!!


I have to admit - I really don't like New Year's Eve.  I'm not one to go out and be with a ton of people with noise makers and glasses formed from the numbers of the new year.  You'd be more likely to find me on my couch with my husband, watching Dick Clark, and eating finger foods that we don't normally eat.

BUT.  I love making New Year's resolutions.  The idea of a new start, of saying, "Okay, no more messing about.  Today's the day I become the person I've always wanted to be" is, to me, the mental equivalent of taking a big deep breath and letting it out.  I'm raring to go.  Ready to attack the new year.

And then reality sets in.  Or, rather, I let that mental energy, that "rah, rah, sis-boom-bah" attitude, slip away into oblivion.  It all seems too much.

And I think I've figured out why.  I make too many darn resolutions.  I have a list a mile long.  It's like I feel the great need to be the perfect person RIGHT NOW.  I want to be healthier, a better wife and carer of my home, be better with finances, be better at work, be a better Christian... All of which are worthy goals, but I bog myself down with not being able to do it all right now, that I let it all drop, which isn't the right attitude either. 

So.  I'm going to make three resolutions this year.  They are specific, yet general enough to be applied to any number of situations.  Which will hopefully make me a better - not perfect - person.  And they are - drum roll please:

1.  Stop procrastinating.  I am was a terrible procrastinator.  Like really bad.  Like I got married five years ago and haven't legally changed my name.  And not for any feminist reason.  So, yeah.  I should really stop doing that.  And I should really change my name.

2.  Be more diligent.  Many of the scriptures I've had on my heart recently have dealt with this (2 Peter 1:3-8, Hebrews 11:6).  So, I will be more mindful of my actions (or inaction, if that is the case!) and be diligent about seeking God and about things in my life.

3.  Stop worrying.  I've talked about this before.  It has seemed to rear it's ugly head more and more lately, so I am addressing that.  I say I trust God, but sometimes my mental state does not reflect that!  Although, I must say Resolution 1 will also help with some of that.  I can stop worrying about things because I'll actually have done them!

What are your resolutions?  Do you have a list a mile long or a just a few?

2 comments:

  1. These are all things I need to work on myself. I'm trying to come up with a list of goals I can target for the next few months and year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I love putting my goals down on paper (or a computer screen) - makes them more real and concrete for me!

    ReplyDelete